Become a CPA
Introducing Canada’s new accounting designation.
Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) is Canada’s new accounting designation, bringing together the best of the Chartered Accountant, Certified Management Accountant and Certified General Accountant designations.
World-class accounting and business recognition.
The CPA certification program builds on the best of existing education programs (CGA, CMA and CA), creating a challenging and rigorous certification process that meets the needs of business, public practice and government. When you become a CPA, you’ll be recognized as a Canadian accounting professional and a leader in the business world.
The path to become a CPA.
What does “Subject Area Coverage” include?
Ready to get started?
Your academic background will determine where you start on the path to becoming a CPA. The CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP) requires an undergraduate degree (in any discipline) along with required prerequisite courses as defined by the specific subject area coverage.
If you have met all the requirements, you will be able to enroll into CPA PEP. If you have a recognized degree but do not have the required prerequisites, the CPA Prerequisite Education Program (CPA PREP) may be your best choice for completing them. Use the following descriptions to help you choose the right starting point – CPA PREP or CPA PEP.
CPA Prerequisite Education Program (PREP)
- You have a recognized undergraduate degree but not in accounting.
- You are missing some or all of the prerequisite courses required for the CPA Professional Education Program.
- You have a recognized international degree but may be missing prerequisites (e.g. Canadian content).
- You have a degree in accounting but are not a recent post-secondary graduate.
CPA Professional Education Program (PEP)
- You are a current post-secondary student completing a recognized undergraduate degree with a focus on accounting.
- You are a recent post-secondary grad that has a recognized undergraduate degree with a focus on accounting.
- You are confident you have completed all of the prerequisite courses required for the CPA Professional Education Program.
- You are a current post-secondary student or recent post-secondary graduate and are completing or have met legacy CA, CMA or CGA prerequisite requirements.
Are you a current CA, CMA or CGA student? Click here to read about transitioning into the CPA program.
Not sure where to start?
- Attend an information session near you (or online). View our calendar for dates and registration.
- Speak with an admissions advisor at 587.390.1877 (toll free at 1.855.306.9390).
- Email your questions to email@example.com.
- Book an appointment with an admissions advisor at our downtown Calgary location.